Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Arrr Capt'n...tis Halloween Week!



For the past week I've been a pirate. A pirate with a monkey sidekick and a really cool sword. It's been a fun but exhausting week so I'm going to entertain you all with pictures. Here I am with some of the other kids teachers (from left, yours truly, Moko, Miho and Yasuko).

And now for some promised pictures of cute Japanese kids in Halloween costumes.

This is Yuuki. Yes, she is kawaii but don't let her cuteness fool you. She can scream 'no' as loud as the next kid and she's only 4 years old. Her costume rocked though - check out the pumpkin tendril things throughout her hair.


These munchkins are Erina (who is SO quiet - in her Stitch ears), Tomoki (in his scream mask) and Tomoka (in her witch outfit).


And this is my crazy, crazy, crazy class. Say hi to Yuino (she's the one who screams NO JAPANESE when I ask her to stop speaking Japanese), Mayuka (it cracks me up when she says my name...its hilarious) and Masanao (he's nutty and doesn't listen to me but he's one of my favourites). Recently, they have been entertaining me by pinching their noses and seeing how long they can keep their nostrils sucked in...try it, it's hard.


And this is Kyouka - my favourite student. She's 8 years old, brilliant, teaches me Japanese and at least once a class she makes me laugh so hard I almost pee my pants. She arrived as Cinderella but immediately asked for my pirate sword and wouldn't put it down. Cinderella with a pirate sword! And in a nutshell, that's why she rocks.


So here's my 1000yen costume ($10) consisting of mainly 100yen store finds and stuff I made myself. I found the pirate hat, monkey and belt scarves at the 100yen, the tiny vest thing for 350yen at UniQlo and the striped socks (which made the costume), were a present from Elspeth's Shinobu sensei, who didn't want them for her pumpkin costume.

I received an email from my wonderful parents (who, by the way, sent the MOST AMAZING package this week) and behold, the 2006 Elliott pumpkin and the accompanying email, which is frickin' hilarious;


Laura & Christopher

In keeping with what appears to be the 2006 Hallowe'en theme - Pirates, we attach the 2006 Elliott pumpkin. You may not be aware but you both chose to be pirates

For Laura : "Add me more time in the bilge room pump'n swill but NO increase in me pay? Arrr, boss, let me tell ye where ye can store that hook!"

For Christopher "Ye bent my ear with yer lubberly questions WITHOUT tryin a reboot first? Arrr! It's the plank for you, ye mangy cur... and thank ye for calling Tech Support!"

Aye maties be taken care of yourselves and BE SAFE.
LOVE yer Mom & Dad

AARRGGGHH !!!

Happy Halloween, maties.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously, pirates are hipper now than ever! I trace this back directly to my love of them and how Jenn & I threw a pirate-themed party back in September. But anyway, you were super resourceful, and are definitely one of the better looking pirates I've seen! And you're right: the kids are cute!

Anonymous said...

Dude, did you draw yourself a treasure map, and tea-stain it to look old and everything? Awesome!
I think my favourite (student) costume is Yuuki's, although the Stitch ears are pretty damn adorable too.

Anonymous said...

Elliotts,

I have one word for you all: awesome.

Fil

Anonymous said...

Hey Laura!

I've been reading about your fabulous adventures in Japan on your blog but this is my first time leaving a comment...

I was quite surprised to see this entry about Halloween...the silly me thought Halloween was only a North American holiday. I continue to be amazed by the goodies that you've found from the 100 yen store...my favourties so far have been the monkey that was part of your costume and the piggy measuring cups. Also, you weren't lying about what you said about the Japanese kids...they are damn cute!

Tiffany