Monday, April 16, 2007

me and my daddy

In March my dad was in Japan on business and I couldn't wait to see him. When the day finally arrived Shinobu told me that I had been acting like an excited little girl all week. He came to Obu and met my staff and then some of us went out for dinner. To make a long story short, I got text messages from Shinobu and Miyuki telling me what a handsome gentleman my dad is and that he's like an 'older movie star'. Well, mom, there you go...the ladies on my staff think your husband is quite a catch!

We decided to go to Kyoto the next day (hey, he was paying so I didn't want to just stay in Nagoya!) to do some sightseeing. It was freezing - I mean, the coldest I have felt in Japan!

We started at Kyomizudera where we saw some very bright fake maiko...

It was hilarious to see all of the Japanese tourists rushing to take a picture of them. There is something great about getting a picture of Kyomizudera with a geisha infront...even if they are tourists (sometimes foreigners) wearing florescent kimonos.


Even though it was FREEZING there were some trees that were trying to bloom.





Class/Business trip photo - the guy in the beige coat was so serious, while everyone else was fooling around...party pooper.

I think it was at this point that it started to SNOW. I'm trying to smile but it was so cold!




On our way down the mountain/hill we stumbled upon two more fake maiko. These two ladies were less garish...they must have paid a lot of money.


One of my favourite finds of the day was this monkey shrine (those little things that are hanging are all strings of monkeys). Yasaka Konshindo is dedicated to those people who rely on their hands to make a living.


Hear no, speak no, see no evil...


One of the most disturbing finds of the day was this little cat & kitten toy/ornament. Who would want this?? What animal was it made out of? I know in Japan if a lost animal is at the shelter for more than a few days it is put down...oh, I don't want to think about it...


Ginkaku-ji (the Silver Pavillion)




My dad and I loved this place because of the awesome sand sculpture things. We have many theories on how they are made, what happens when it rains or if some stupid tourist sticks their fingers in, etc. I'll have to do some research to find out how it's really done...I wonder if our 'big cookie cutter' theory is right...


Our favourite moss. Here I am, giving the digital macro setting a work out.




The valley of moss (below). It was so green and smooth...I wanted to run down it.

It was all too much for this girl. She fell asleep standing up.

Come, buy ice cream from the scary, scary foreign kids...

Or from the cute little surprised looking monk...

Ryoan-ji
We couldn't go to Kyoto and NOT go to my dad's favourite rock garden. We got there about an hour before it closed so we took the usual route...not the...unusual route?




The sun was just starting to set and there weren't that many tourists. The rock garden looked the most beautiful I've ever seen it.





This guy cracked me up. He sat there counting the rocks (actually pointing at them) and when he couldn't see them all, he shrugged his shoulders and gave a sigh...

And finally, a photo of the garden with NO TOURISTS. I am very happy with this photo because usually these steps are filled with people.

Some sakura trying their hardest to bloom.

Thank you dad, for a great day in one of our favourite cities. It was nice to wander and chat with you. I can't wait until July when both you and mom will be here! I miss you both oh so much!!

No comments: