Monday, December 04, 2006

Raindrops on Maple Leaves

Last weekend Elspeth and I took a mini-break to Kyoto. This trip was all about the leaves - it was supposedly the BEST weekend for maple leaves and we had everything planned. The weather gods threw in some rain to see if we could handle it and of course we rocked it and stuck to our plan (it wasn't the 9 temple/shrine marathon outlined in Elspeth's magazine but we saw four and took our time).



We went to Kyoto in style - on the shinkansen. I love living in Nagoya. In only 45 minutes I can be in Kyoto. So at 9:30 we stepped off the train into Kyoto eki and headed towards Fushimi Inari. Some of you may remember how Elspeth and I climbed part of this shrine in the summer but had to turn back because it was so bloody humid (Elspeth even thought I had asthma because I was wheezing!). We were determined to climb the whole 4km loop and we were victorious!



Once we passed the first good look out, we had the place pretty much to ourselves. The leaves were beautiful, the weather perfect and the red torii were enjoyable, as usual.









We headed back to Kyoto eki where we did some 300 yen store shopping (got some supersoft and warm slippers) and then met up with Elspeth's friend Jeannine. We jumped on a bus and went to Kiyomizu-dera (one of the most famous sites in Kyoto). In the autumn the maple leaves are lit up at night. It started pouring rain and the lights didn't go on until 6pm so we found a Chinese food restaurant and hung out for a while (it was a good thing we had to wait - the food took forever to come). The rain didn't stop but we decided to go anyway - us and hundreds of other Japanese tourists. The place was packed, even though it was POURING. It was cool to see the leaves lit up and Kiyomizu-dera was breath-taking. I'm going back at Christmas break to see it properly during the day.





It is called the 'clear water' temple because of this famous waterfall where you can take a sip of water. There are three different spots where you can drink and the three of us became sort of a tourist attraction when we all stood at a waterfall and drank. Somewhere in Japan, there is a photo of three foreign girls drinking at Kiyomizu-dera.







By time we left were were soaked. We hopped in a cab and went to Jeannine's apartment (that she shares with her sister) and we hung out for a while, chatting, etc. Then Elspeth and I successfully navigated the bus system back to our hostel. Oh man, our hostel was so nice. It was super clean and new and they even gave you sheets and clips to make a curtain around your bunk. So that was day one. Tomorrow I'll post about day two, where you'll hear stories about 5000 maple trees, pagodas, rain, camera batteries dying, more rain and Curious George!

4 comments:

Steph said...

All right, Laura! Maybe Salzburg was just training for this mini-break in Kyoto? I'm glad you and I did the Extravaganza prior to this trip, because otherwise you would have put me to shame with all your mountain climbing (how are the legs coming along? ;) ).

Can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip. Apart from rainy, how's the weather over there? It's gotten SO cold here (although I'm sure Taryn will have more to say on this issue).

Steph said...

Aaron, I'm totally with you on the train/plane mishap - I too thought that for a moment that the girls may have been on a plane. So not to worry, it wasn't just you!

And I did know that Take That had gotten back together BUT I did NOT know that they now have a #1 Single. I'm not sure what to do with this information... Would it be wrong of me to go and immediately download this song? Or wrong NOT to?

Anonymous said...

Now while all this plane/train and Take That discussion is exciting and all, I'm stuck on the Curious George business. Laura, I expect a full detailing this time around - nothing like that encouter with a monkey a few weeks back. And by the way, how're the tv shows doing? How do you like/dislike the new series?

Fil

Laura said...

Steph - I agree that the Ice Caves, Vesuvius, Salzburg and all those crazy mountains we climbed definitely helped. I often think about us climbing that mountain and seeing those Austrian families run by, especially when little old Japanese men and women fly by me on their way up the mountain.

Aaron - I don't know what to think about a Take That reunion...plus, if it doesn't have bad boy Robbie Williams...

Aaron/Fil - Sorry about the confusion about plane/train. Kyoto is less than 1 hour by train. Train is relatively inexpensive, when considering time, distance, etc.

Fil - I haven't actually had time to watch any of the shows yet (been away for past two weekends). This Monday I have a TV-bad food-stay in my pjs day planned. I'll let you know which ones I like.