Sunday, January 13, 2008

The first week back.

(From my new Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Calender - the captions crack me up. Anyone who owns this should be a HP fan, and thereby not need these ridiculous captions)


Yes, I am alive. I just haven't had the energy to update. Here's some thoughts/observations about the flight back and my first week back in Japan after a most awesome Christmas vacation.
  • Air Canada flight attendants are really rude. Example: A male flight attendant (with gross long hair and large silver rings...ick!) asked the obviously Japanese woman in front of me if she would like green or red tea, in English. When she didn't understand him, he raised his voice and in a slow, loud voice asked her again. After the third time, he sighed loudly and switched into Japanese and asked her and she responded immediately. What the hell? Why didn't he ask her in Japanese in the first place?!
  • Marky Mark football movies suck.
  • My French Canadian seat mate was such a freak. He laughed really loudly at the movies (which were NOT FUNNY), listened to the 'saxophone jazz channel' really loudly and was really happy when he found out we were watching the awful Marky Mark movie. Oh and the most hilarious thing - He somehow ripped a HUGE hole in his shirt sleeve during the flight. He sat there swearing in French and trying to figure out how the armrest had ripped it. I tried not to point and laugh out loud. Oh, did I mention from the moment he sat down he hogged the armrest? jerk. And who buys chocolate teddy bears from the on-flight duty free?
  • You need at least 15 minutes to catch a train in Tokyo station - that place is confusing and not helpful to people with large pieces of luggage. I couldn't find a ramp in one place so ended up hauling my huge suitcase up some stairs.
  • Having 4 new classes added to my schedule meant staying late and going early everyday...
  • Red, mustard yellow, turquoise and pink tights do nothing for your legs (Japanese girls are unfortunately embracing this trend wholeheartedly)
  • The book 'Television Without Pity' is HILARIOUS and addictive. Thank you Taryn.
  • I love talking to my students. I guess that's why my counsellings turn into 20 minute conversations.
  • Not eating food from the convenience store saves me a lot of money. But cooking on one element really sucks. If anyone has tasty 'one pot/pan' recipes, please send them my way.
  • I had a really weird dream last night. Steph and I were running away from zombies in Disneyland. Yup. I guess my excitement for next weekend's trip to Tokyo Disneyland combined with my recent viewing of I am Legend?? Someone should make it into a movie. It was scary because I was in it...but it had the right amount of cheese to make an enjoyable zombie flick.
  • I really need to update this blog. I'm seriously behind....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for the update! I'll think over those one-pot/pan recipes and get back to you. And no, mango thai sauce will not be involved - at least not with eggplant and potato.

Enjoy Disneyland!

Fil

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your flight buddy! Don't forget the spinach,shrimp and lemon pasta. How about a large pot of minestrone soup or the Jamie Oliver chickpea and leek soup? Both of those are like meals and waarm soup is great to come home to.
Take care and BE SAFE.
Love, Mom and Dad and Christopher

Steph said...

If you enjoy the TWoP book from Taryn, you can always check out the website! That way you can keep up with shows, while someone writes about them in a snarky fashion. It's win-win, really.

I'll send you an email with a few one-pot recipes that I have, but don't forget that curries are done in a single pot!

It's weird that you had a dream of us fleeing from zombies, because for the last two nights, I've been having similar dreams, although they've involved Harry Potterish elements and serial killers (you know the chapter where they go to Godric's Hollow and Harry goes upstairs? THOSE kind of dreams...).

Anyway, at some point today, I'll write you an email catching you up on things and on what to cook when you only have one element!

Anonymous said...

Download JPOD when you get the chance. Funny - and so very random. Sarah Connor Chronicles is now airing too.

That's my tv update.

Get your mickey ears?

Fil

T-Atoms said...

Somen is the greatest one pot meal ever! Just boil the noodles, put them on ice, and make your sesame and somen sauce, uhm, sauce, then eat!

I often cut potatoes, fry them with cheese, and eat that with white rice.

Quick, easy and GREAT!

To save money Shop 99 (anytime) and Valor (close to closing time) are both cheap places for groceries! Not sure if you have any near your apartment or school!

Good luck!