Friday, May 09, 2008

Sakura in Okazaki

Where: Elspeth's homestay parents' place in Okazaki
When: March 30 & 31, 2008 (I know, I'm really behind in posting!)
Info: This year I didn't feeling like travelling somewhere far away to see cherry blossoms. So when Elspeth's homestay parents invited us to Okazaki, which is well known in Aichi prefecture for having some lovely places to see sakura, I was excited!

The weekend started with a video game night at Elspeth's apartment. Her assistant manager was there and we had a good time playing taiko, DDR and Katamari! (oh, and now Elspeth has TWO taiko drums so that one player doesn't have to use the controller!)

(I found these at the convenience store - uni-flavoured curls. Yup, they tasted like sea urchin. The consistency of these things are really weird though. They kind of deflate and get stuck in your teeth.)

Elspeth cooked up a most awesome breakfast - She had strawberry Special K and BACON! Who knew this pre-cooked/dehydrated/space dried would be tasty?! Obviously, Elspeth's cool mom (who mailed it to her)!


After a quick stop in Toyota, we headed to Okazaki. Unfortunately, it was raining so after dropping our stuff off at Elspeth's homestay folks' place we headed to the Apita shopping centre down the street to escape the rain. We were peck-ish so we stopped at the Astro boy rotating sushi place. Their sushi was REALLY good.

(Here's the delicious negi-toro [Aaron, your fav] on the cute Astro Boy plate)

(Hey Dad, check out the sushi bottom-maker! The rice was dumped into the top and then came out exactly the same. Brilliant)

After doing a bit of shopping, we went back to the apartment. We settled around the kotatsu and in no time we were both asleep. Too comfy. I need to get me one of these. We watched some cartoons, chatted and I tried to avoid being attacked by the cats.


For dinner Teruyo make amazing Fuji-style noodle soup. I love these thick, homestyle noodles and the veggie loaded broth. Yumm-y!! And for dessert, little tarts topped with fresh fruit and real whipped cream.


(I took this just before she attacked me)

(This one hated me so much last time that he did the whole hiss/arched back/claws out thing)

After dinner we had a girls' karaoke/game centre night. We got a room and sang our hearts out. I cringe when I think that there's some video out there of Elz and I singing Spice Girls...I think our best songs included 'o-bla-dee-bla-dah' and 'ironic'. We also rocked the Aladdin classic, 'never had a friend like me'.



After impressing Teruyo with our taiko skills, we had to take some purikura. This one had a weird green screen seat thing that we could hide behind and turn into things, like the bathtub.

(Gotta love the chopped up cat)

The next morning we all piled into the car and drove to Okazaki park. This park is famous for it's sakura lined river. It was in full bloom and the weather was perfect.



It wouldn't be any Japanese festival/event without with food stalls. We wandered around trying to decide what to eat for lunch. Takoyaki or French fries? Candy or grilled squid? So many choices...


(Tiny lollipops in the shape of your favourite characters)



Elspeth and Teruyo decided on a rolled savoury-crepe-okonomiyaki-topped-with-an-egg-thing. Not the easiest thing to eat...


(Ever wondered what a Japanese festival horror house looks like. Now you know)


(Masao eating his grilled squid)


(I finally decided on giant takoyaki. These tasted different from the ones I make at home but they were still delicious!)

Required Aaron shots.


We explained the Aaron shots to Masao and he tried to take one with Teruyo. She kept wanting to look at the camera! (but that's against the rules!)

At the top of the hill we found Okazaki-jo. It was beautiful and surrounded by sakura. Unfortunately, our time there was disturbed by a tantrum-throwing child. Her grandfather just left her on the steps of the caste and she went berserk.







Our next stop was a very pretty river lined with more sakura...yeesh, I really don't know what else to write...just check out the pictures...


(Aren't they just the cutest?!)


Afterwards we did some grocery shopping for dinner and then returned to the apartment. Masao had three clients over for dinner (he's an architect) and it was...well, awkward and hilarious. One of the clients looked so much like my uncle that it freaked me out. Us girls ended up hiding out in the kitchen for a while and then the whole group played Jenga. Talk about a strange business dinner...

I had a great weekend in Okazaki. Elspeth's homestay parents are fabulous people and even though they don't speak English, they make me feel at home. Thanks Masao and Teruyo!

1 comment:

Elspeth said...

I certainly know how to sleep in super comfortable positions! Like... on my nose.

I'm so glad you could join us on our sakura hunting that weekend!