Saturday, June 28, 2008

my tenugui collection

(Chopsticks and umeboshi)

Most of you are probably thinking - what the heck is a tenugui? Well my friends, let me explain. A tenugui is a rectangular piece of cotton fabric, which is dyed with a variety of patterns and colours. It is used for everything from headbands to a wall hanging to bags and hand towels. Some have elaborate patterns, others are beautifully simple. Here's a good article I found. I've accumulated quite the collection and plan on hanging them on my walls back home. 
(geisha on the shinkansen - this one cracks me up!)

(Mt. Yoshino during sakura season)

(Japanese maples)

(ninjas in the dark. with ninja stars, of course!)

(Maiko in Kyoto)

(Ryoan-ji rock garden - Kyoto)

(Fushimi Inari - Kyoto)

(Japanese pine tree)

(onigiri - rice balls)

(grilled mochi)

(My birthday present to myself - a large bamboo print tenugui)

1 comment:

Elspeth said...

I, for one, love your tenugui collection. I'm glad we both chose small things to collect.

Can't believe how fast time is going!