Thursday, October 18, 2007

Dancing in the Streets


What: Nagoya Domatsuri 2007
Where: Sakae (downtown Nagoya)
Who: Me, Elspeth and Elspeth's homestay mom
Info: Last year Elspeth and I stumbled upon the dance stage near Loft. We loved every second of the dances and were determined to see it again this year. Instead of sitting in the burning hot sun this time, we stood in the shade and watched the teams dance down the street. Very cool. I don't really have that much to say except this is possibly my favourite festival/event. Enjoy the pictures and video!


















Check out this very fancy costume change. Part one (above), then with a fancy move, the boys ripped off their shirts and the girls somehow turned the top of their yukatas down...see part two (below)


The final costume! (below) Now imagine doing this something like 7 times, while dancing down the street....




Above & Below: This was one of my favourite teams. I LOVE the hair. They were my little rebel university group...




Above: I know the lighting in this picture is bad...but I love it. I think it's the expression on that girl's face.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! Wish we could have been there. This festival of dances looks FABULOUS!! To think you've seen it twice....hardly seems FAIR.
Take care and BE SAFE.
Love Mom and Dad and Christopher

T-Atoms said...

Interestingly enough, one of my student's team won the competition! Inuyama's team!