Saturday, February 09, 2008

The Snowy Day

Last year I think it snowed in Nagoya for about 15 minutes. I remember, the only reason I noticed was that I opened my door to get my laundry and was like, 'hey it's snowing...oh wait...it's stopping.' This year I hadn't seen any snow...until today...

People in Toronto, you are going to laugh because this is not a lot of snow by a long shot...but it is for this area. And it freaked people out. Trains slowed or stopped. Traffic became insane. Children squealed and tried to pick it up (one kid got a handful of mud mixed with a bit of snow). Students called and cancelled their lessons even before it started staying on the ground.

I of course didn't check the weather forecast on my computer (which is usually wrong anyway) so I forgot a hat. I arrived at work with flat wet hair and steamy glasses. The office was freezing all day and I huddled under a shall/scarf to keep warm.
Our staff was supposed to go out tonight to celebrate Miho's and Manager's birthdays but that was quickly cancelled. Shinobu and Nana left early and soon there were just a few of us left in the office. My last class ended up being just me and a new student. We ended up chatting about his adventures in New Zealand and my part-Japanese background (he almost fell out of his chair...it was hilarious).

Everyone thought the JR trains would be delayed (they are always late due to rain, wind, suicides, etc) but mine was just a few minutes late. Now I'm at home, drinking a pretty stomach searing cassis beverage (it's labelled 'La Cocktail' - classy), updating le blog and waiting for my skype date with Steph.


The snow started off pretty and it made me miss home a bit but by nightfall it had turned slushy and messy. I must admit, I do enjoy being able to wear running shoes all year round here...

P.S. Did everyone watch LOST? That was a great episode.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes LOST was great! You call that little flurry snow. We've had to shovel at least 4 times this week. We haven't had this much snow since I was a little kid. We've had 2 or 3 major snowstorms. We had to take the snow off the shrubs in the backyard 3 times and the snow was up to my knees. It looks wonderful but it's caused such chaos. The schools even let the kids go early one day. I'm amazed at the amounts of snow we have and it's still coming down.
Take care and BE SAFE.
Love, Mom and Dad and Christopher