Sunday, April 13, 2008

Tokyo Madness Part Two: Sushi for breakfast, game centres and more ice cream

(I think we look pretty good for it being rainy and 5 AM!!!!)

Tsukiji Fish Market





(Fugu...I'm not sure if I ever need to eat this)


(Are they HUGE scallops? Whatever they were, they were bigger than my hand!)

(Ahhh..nothing like the sound of a band saw cutting up tuna at 6AM)



(Someone must have been really hungry to pick up one of these sea cucumbers and decide to eat it...)


(I can't believe I actually like uni (sea urchin) now. In Canada I wouldn't touch it)


(Check out the sword/knife!)





(Does anyone know what these are? They look like bugs...or something out of an ALIEN movie)

We wandered around in the rain looking for restaurants and finally decided on a bright and cheery restaurant full of foreigners. We ordered the chef's choice which turned out to be fantastic. The sushi was amazingly fresh. I even liked the scallop and squid...two I usually avoid. Actually, I think the scallop was my favourite. There were also a couple of different grades of tuna. Yum...

(I could get used to eating sushi for breakfast...)


(Tokyo subway rules a la edamame - don't chat on your cell, don't snore, drool and spread your legs wide, don't rock out to loud music, and don't put your prada shopping bags on a seat where someone might want to sit)

Shinjuku

We stayed at a hotel in Shinjuku. After visiting the fish market, we returned to our room for a short nap until checkout time. On our way to Akihabara I spotted a Hello Kitty store. Elspeth couldn't resist doing a bit of shopping.


Then, we walked by a game centre and just had to stop for a quick game of taiko no tatsujin. As a team we rock this game.


Akihabara

Our first stop was Akihabara or Electric town. We wandered around pricing PSPs and looking at DS games. We found another game centre where Elz did a bit of DDR dancing and we played another game of taiko (we got like 3 free games we were so good!).

I had read about an Art Deco museum in my guidebook so I dragged Elspeth there with the promise that we could visit a teddybear store in the same area. Unfortunately, the teddies turned out be way expensive and kind of creepy but we did stumble upon a Wendy's!!! Lunch was delicious but too big. I couldn't finish my meal...I just can't eat as much Western food these days...


The Art Deco museum had a garden too, which we explored first. They had some cool sculptures. After wandering around we went into the museum, which was surprisingly busy. There was a photo exhibit about early photographs and architecture in the Tokyo area. It was slightly interesting.



Harajuku

(Harajuku - we spent a couple hours looking around Kiddyland (multiple-story toy store). This just in: A random fact from Elspeth - their mascot is a kid playing a trumpet and they have bright orange bags. Thanks Elspeth.)

(Let's all drool over the apple pie ice cream from Coldstone's. Damn, I love their ice cream. Does anyone know if there's one in Toronto? Wait, maybe I don't want to know that)

After ice cream we headed back to Nagoya. This trip to Tokyo really changed my feelings for the city. Before I had thought it was cold and too new but now I love it. I love just walking through the city and exploring. I can't wait to visit again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh. I like how the guy in the video tried to move out of the line of sight when you panned around.

Those bugs look like the centipedes that were haunting you before.

That taiko drumming game looks ridiculously fun to play.

Also, I checked out Coldstone locations. There are tons in America, but once you hit the border, there's not a single one.

-Christopher

Fil said...

Loved the Tokyo fish market too. Especially the auctioning. The 7am sushi breakfast wasn't so bad either. Seems like Tokyo may be growing on you a little Laura-san... or at least a few little parts of it.

I too checked for Coldstones (since I've never heard if it before). The only internationals are in Asia. But you can always drive down to Buffalo to shop and hit it up when there...

Talk to you soon.
Fil

Anonymous said...

Dad and I will one day visit that fish market and have a sushi breakfast.....Tokyo is great....busy, crowded and great!!
Take care and BE SAFE.
Love, Mom and Dad

Steph said...

What's the one good thing about living in Nashville? We've got Coldstone (and yet, still no Jamba Juice!). Maybe you need to plan to visit Nashville at some point once you're back on North American turf? ;)

I really enjoyed the edamame subway etiquette sign. And yeah, avoid the mukade of the sea... creepy!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Ok, those alien looking sea creatures are actually super tasty!! probably the meaty small-sized shell fish. They're 'Mantis Prawns' or 'Peeing Prawns'. They squirt when removed from the water. I tried some while I was in HK and was it good.

All the arcade and game shopping. You need to demonstrate your newly acquired skill when u return!!