Monday, July 14, 2008

The hardest thing I've ever had to do.

I never expected saying goodbye to my friends, co-workers and students would be so hard. All week I've been bursting into tears after teaching last lessons with some of my favourite students. On Saturday night, we had a farewell party for me/welcome party for Joel. I was misty eyed from the beginning so by the time I had to make my speech I was pretty much a mess. I couldn't do it.

So Kayo kindly read it for me and I stood beside her and cried. My students laughed and promptly took out their cameras and cell phones to take pictures. Everyone was sweet and said such nice things. I'll really really miss them.

Kayo and I had a tearful goodbye with promises to hang out in Ottawa and Toronto soon. Miho and Yuko and I just pretended that we'd see each other Tuesday as at that point I couldn't take saying goodbye to them. Yesterday the Yamamotos took me on a trip around Kyoto and I had to quickly run into the shinkansen area before I started to cry again. With Elspeth we just pretended we'd see each other on the weekend. I can't imagine what a mess I would've been if we'd said goodbye. Luckily, we don't live that far away from each other (road trip!).

Right now I'm off to do some final packing at work, close my bank account, cut off the cell phone and then go to the airport. This is such a strange experience. Japan has really become a second home to me and even though I'm ecstatic to come home, a little bit of my heart is breaking because I'm leaving. These past two years have been AMAZING.

Toronto, here I come.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Laura,

I know it's hard to say goodbye to your friends and co-workers back in Japan. I'm sure you've touched/left a lasting impression on each and everyone of them. You'll be home in less then 72 hours and we're all excited to see you.

Have a safe flight and I'll see u soon.

Anonymous said...

Laura,
We know that Japan will be in your HEART FOREVER!!! Japan is such an extraordinary place with such wonderful people; it will always be calling to you. You have the memories of these special times to look upon, until you return again.

See you today!
Take care and BE SAFE.
Love, Mom and Dad and Christopher and Chelsea

Anonymous said...

Laura, can you believe that two years have passed? It feels like they've just flown by (I probably would not feel this way if we had not gotten to see each other during that time)! I hate that I was never able to come out to visit with you and be part of your adventure, but I loved vicariously experience your two years of rising fun. I'm not sure what I will do without having the prospect of a new brog entry each day... so sad! How will I "waste" time on the internet now? :)

Taryn told me that you're heading off to the cottage almost as soon as you get back to Toronto. When you're back from there, email me so I can call you or so that we can Skype! I miss you so much, and hopefully I'll make it back to Toronto this summer and we can hang out.

Have a safe trip as you journey back in time!

Steph

Anonymous said...

As we promised, I've been searching for you at school everyday but I can't...
I was too scared to check your blog, and as I expected, I started to cry...
You are really gone!!!
I hope you went home safely and having relaxing time at home.

Lots of love from,
Miho

Anonymous said...

Takoyaki master, Laura,

I already MISS you!

(I'm writing this comment with drinking tea that you gave me... arigato-!)

Hope you had a safe trip to your home and have a good time with your family and friends there.

Today, one of my students' mom asked me "Did she leave here?", so I explained about you. Not only but also everyone miss you so much.

Keep in touch,
Kayo

Anonymous said...

I had one mistake... gomen...

Not only ME but also everyone miss you so much.

matane!
Kayo