Thursday, July 10, 2008

nearing the end...

Yesterday I moved out of my teeny-tiny apartment and into a business hotel in Obu. It was kind of sad...I have come to love that little room/apartment. It's been the location of takoyaki parties, pre-travel sleepovers and late night talks with friends and family. It looked so bare and empty this morning while I waited for Joel to arrive. It'll be weird to know that he's living in my apartment! Speaking of takoyaki parties, two weeks ago I hosted a very successful one with Kayo and Natalie, my kick-ass co-workers.
Natalie and I had spent the day shopping around Nagoya and Kayo met us at my apartment after work. We sat around the cooker, chatted, ranted and laughed. It was really fun..and yummy.
(Natalie and Kayo perfecting their takoyaki turning technique)

(posing strangely with the box)
The next day Kayo and I went shopping in Sakae. We went to the very fancy Lachic building and had cake and coffee. We chatted for hours while savouring our huge pieces of cake. My blueberry fresh cheesecake was the best cake I've had while in Japan (well, beside the cake Elz and I made for my birthday). Kayo is a fantastic person and I'm going to miss her so very much.
(I know it looks like I'm blowing out invisible candles but really I'm saying, 'ooooo')
This past weekend, Elz and I stayed in Nagoya and did some last minutes errands and activities. After making hair appointments we headed to Atsuta Aeon mall. We ate lunch at a really nice (and cheap) Japanese restaurant. They were having a 'specialties of Hokkaido' special which involved potatoes, scallops and udon noodles. It was delicious!



And of course, we can't go to a mall without doing some purikura and playing some taiko. We ended up trying out all three of the purikura machines. Good times...
(I was intrigued by this game...is it some kind of pull the sword from the rock game?)
(We can't figure this sign out...what prompted them to post this???)
Here are a few shots of the machines. Our favourite machine has amazing lighting...it makes your skin and teeth look great. I guess it should - check out those lights!



(gotta love Elspeth's 'direct translation' photo)
(My 'we go to shopping' photo)
After getting our haircuts on Sunday we went to visit Elspeth's former head teacher, Shinobu and her son Jinsei. They are both hilarious. We had a great afternoon talking and playing with Jinsei. He's one of the first Japanese babies who didn't look at me and then start to cry.
(Who can't fall in love with that face??!! What a cutie!)

*I'm trying to finish up some posts in the next day or two... but work is hectic and emotional. I will get them done at some point though. Keep an eye out for an update about Justine's visit. Only a few days until I come home!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your last days in Nagoya and have a safe trip home!

Fil said...

Hey, that appt was small, but so very efficient! I'm still impressed by you/it. Something tells me my accommodations on the island will be no where near as functional.

While I'm sure I'll catch the last postings, I'm wishing you now a safe/enjoyable flight back, and see you... Friday (i.e. Summerlicious)? The cottage should be a good and relaxing way to get over jetlag.

Talk to you soon (and literally 'talk' this time)!

Elspeth said...

That picture of the empty apartment is so sad!!!

You took some awesome pictures of Jinsei. And lets just say that if I ever see you slurping noodles with a camera nearby, you're in for it.

*hug*