Monday, July 10, 2006

Nagoya Castle & More Cool Food


I have to leave for training soon but I just wanted to post some pictures from yesterday's sightseeing trip to Nagoya Castle. I went with Rebecca and Elspeth and we met Tommy and Ryan and his girlfriend there. It rained while we were on the subway so when we arrived at the castle station it was SO HUMID!! I have honestly never felt humidity like this.


The castle was reconstructed after being bombed in WWII and only the walls and some artwork are original. A highlight of the tour was a 3-D movie tour of what the castle would have looked like during the 1600's (hosted by an imperial lord who looked slightly Mexican!).


We walked up to the top of the castle where you can see Nagoya (it was slightly cloudy and hazy from the HUMIDITY)

After walking around the gardens, seeing some deer chillin' in the moats and getting eaten alive by more mosquitoes, we headed back to the hotel for a nap and some dinner. We decided on this place right near our hotel called Pepper Lunch. Here's how it works;

You put your money into this machine, choose your meal and grab the ticket that shoots out. Hand the ticket to the waitress and have a seat. A few minutes later, this arrives for you...

It was a scrumptious sizzling plate of beef, rice, corn and green onions ($6.40) and when it was done the rice was slightly crispy and the meat perfect - Delicious!

Well, I gotta go put on the pantyhose and suit for training, sayonara!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

holy crap laurs! it's sunday and i'm reading your monday post! i gotta get used to this! sounds like an exciting time so far! glad your journey is off to a good start! cheers!

matt(non-blogger blogger)

Steph said...

Mmmm... even though I'm slightly woozy from the MASSIVE margarita I had at linner with my parents (it was the "giant" size - 18 ounces, or something crazy like that!) I am envious of your meal at this Pepper Lunch. At least the Japanese seem to have the concept of "well-balanced" meal down pat, so I don't think you'll have to worry about getting scurvy!

I'm back in The Ville, although we didn't arrive until 5 am CST this morning... longish story that may appear on my blog (apparently I only brog when I'm south of the 49th parallel). I know I still owe you math, but we're leaving tomorrow for Florida and internet might be sketchy (although we'll likely wind up at a motel of questionable caliber but that will provide wireless access).

Uh, but back to your blog - the castle looks hella cool even if this so called humidity (it's no walk in the park here either) isn't coming across on film. All of the reconstruction reminds me of how barely anything in Berlin is authentic! Oh, and I was only joking about you making friends with your co-workers... Mostly!

Have fun, chica! I'm going to go and make some "photo dvds" for my dad and enjoy my bare legs and open-toed shoes (sandals no less)!

Anonymous said...

So the adventure continues... closest I've gotten thus far is my ride on the TTC every morning.

The castle looks amazing - a must see for whenever I finally make it out there (it'll happen somehow... sometime...). Any Matt updates yet (Matt the coworker, not you Matty B - soon to be of the Jarvis and College neighbourhood) (yeah, Matt's moving downtown beginning of next month)? I was wondering if you're first impression might have been a bit off (hopefully). The others you've met seem ok. Tolerable at least, given all we've heard about them thus far is that you go places together.

Well I'm off now. I need to find something to eat, and I lack the-buy-my-dinner-ticket-through-a-vending-machine kind of convenience. But it's got me thinking of heading over to New Generation, or the like.

Cheers.

Fil

Ps. I just realized that you may end up reading this before I've even sent it. Trippy stuff.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear lord, i'm not sure i'll be able to continue reading your blog if you're gonna keep posting mouth-watering photos! I am, of course, referring to the Nagoya castle pics: mmm, mossy bricks....

I hope for your sake that the Japanese also have the concept of "air-conditioning" down pat. If you still have that adorable little chiapet/clockcountdown/weatherforcast contraption that pops up on Wagamama, could you give us some indication of exactly how hot it is? Perhaps the humidity would show up better on film if you'd actually take/post some pics that include human subjects. I.e., you. Though i suppose they could also include the other AEONies... bhe, but who really cares about them?

Tomorrow i call my *new*landlady in Mtl, mainly to make sure that she remembers that i exist. Oooh, verbal contracts give me the willies.... So i'll let you know how that goes. And for the record, we were not lost when we got into the city; we were taking the scenic route. Whatever, i blame mapquest for providing us with a circuitous route which we were forced to abandon when, umm, we realized that we were already approaching the city from a different highway. Hey, this way i ended up with a very useful map of Mtl (thanks, Steph!). I also blame the peppers.

Best of luck with the 'hose and my deepest sympathies,

taryn