Sunday, November 19, 2006

A Rainy Sunday Afternoon



Today it is gray and chilly. I stayed in bed for as long as I could but then I thought about all the stuff I had to do today and finally got up. I did some laundry, straightened up the flat and then went out into the cold to visit the grocery store. Autumn is a great time for fruit and vegetables in Japan. I spent a long time gazing at the fruit (finally deciding on a small bag of mikan, Japanese oranges) but I was determined to stick to my list (I even pre-decided on my meals this week, I'm such a nerd). I walked up and down the aisles, trying to block out the cracked out Christmas carols that were being blasted throughout the store. I feel sorry for the employees because after about 5 minutes I wanted to run screaming from the store.



I bought some absolutely gorgeous mushrooms (oh man, I LOVE Japanese mushrooms...I'll never be able to eat white button mushrooms again) and what do you do with leeks and mushrooms on a cold day? You make cream of mushroom soup of course. Ahhh...yummy...best part is that the big pot of soup cost me less than 250 yen to make.



Tonight I'm going to write some emails (I know Taryn...I promised you one a LONG LONG time ago) and finish listening to Order of the Phoenix (Oh, snarky Harry!). Tomorrow I'm off to Lake Biwa in search of autumn foliage. Oh, here's a newspaper clipping I thought you'd all enjoy. Shock, horror...high school students smoking?!?!(What would they think of the smoking section at Richview?) (this was second page news)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura,
We can get shiitake mushrooms in Canada ...but they just don't have the same flavour as those in Japan. Your soup looks YUMMY.
Take care and BE SAFE.
Love, Mom and Dad and Christopher

Steph said...

Oh man! Way to put every meal I have ever made in Nashville to shame! Unless it comes out of a can OR involves adding a limited number of ingredients to some kind of packet, there is no soup to be had chez moi. Maybe I once made hot & sour soup, but how that came about is really anybody's guess.

Speaking of Order of the Pheonix, the NEW TRAILER IS BEING POSTED ON THE INTERNET AT SOME POINT TODAY!!! I'm sure you're all over it, but there you have it.

Also, 2 questions:
1. Why are the newspapers in English?
2. Why do the Japanese care so much about smoking? I thought they cared way less than say, the U.S.?