Thursday, November 29, 2007

An hour in 'heakatto' heaven



Today I went to get my haircut. I LOVE getting my haircut in Japan. Let me describe the procedure and then you'll understand why.
  1. They take you over to the sink, make sure you're seated comfortably and then proceed to wash your hair and massage your head for a good 10 minutes....
  2. They take their time cutting your hair. Remember, it must be perfect.
  3. They know how to use thinning scissors. This is KEY. My thick, stick straight hair is transformed into manageable, style-able hair.
  4. Today the stylist styled my hair (with product) so that I could see how it looked and approve it, only to then take me back to the sink to re-wash my hair to remove all the pesky tiny cut hairs! So ridiculous, so awesome. Head massage number two!
  5. Back to the chair, I got a back and neck massage...heaven...glorious....I almost fell asleep.
  6. My hair is blown dry (sometimes by two people!), styled and perfected yet again. Any tiny hair that dares escape from place is dealt with.
Over an hour later, I walked out of the salon feeling stylish (well, at least from the neck up) and relaxed. Too bad I had to go straight to work and deal with crazy Open House week (when the parents get to observe their kids' classes)! I need another massage now...

3 comments:

Elspeth said...

I think that if I ever come back to Japan on vacation, I might just need to schedule a haircut. Maybe when I'm getting over the initial jet lag on the first day. I don't know how I'm going to deal with hair cuts at home again. We are super spoiled, and I like it! :)

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you walked into a hair dresser's? Are you sure you didn't walk into a spa?.. or did they mistake you for royalty?

-Christopher

Unknown said...

Satisfaction guaranteed.