Saturday, August 26, 2006

it has happened...


Yesterday was day number 50. That's right, I've been in Japan for 50 days. Everything is fabulous. I love it here. I'm having the time of my life.

But yesterday was just wrong. Even though my classes went really well something just wasn't right. Then it hit me. I was homesick. I got home to my apartment and I just felt SO alone. There was no ice cream in the freezer and only vegetables in the fridge (what the heck is wrong with me?) so I curled up on my futon, had a good cry and tried to distract myself with a book.

Today I felt somewhat better and I had some awesome lessons (one with a girl named Kyouka was great - we were laughing hysterically) but I still feel lonely. Steph assures me this will pass and that it's natural...until then I'm off to the 99yen for some ice cream and then home for some 16 Candles (surely Farmer Ted and his dancing will be able to cheer me up).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Laura... of course, I miss Hawaii, hello! We'll get over the homesickness together. It can only get better. Uncle Marcus says "Aloha!" You can call him Uncle from now on, :P - it's the Hawaiian way.

Steph said...

I say that if the first time you really feel homesick is after 50 days, then you are doing really well!

I think the key, as Lorelai suggests to Rory, is to have a good wallow and just really work through the feelings. Then you won't be carrying them around with you and can get back to having a fantastic time. Ice cream and movies definitely help, but so do care packages from home. I will get on putting mine together right now!

I miss you like crazy, but I'm so proud of you for doing this and being brave enough to go out and have this adventure. Let's try to MSN or Skype soon. Being able to call you and everyone back home really makes all the difference in the world to me when I'm feeling down.

Anonymous said...

You're FINALLY HOMESICK. We wondered if you'd miss all of us. We certainly miss you. We know that this will happen every now and then. We're in the midst of getting Christopher ready for university...clothes, bedding, books,dishes and cooking uetensils and of course FOOD. It just seems yesterday we were getting you ready for Waterloo. Remember we're always thinking of you.
Take care and BE SAFE.
LOVE Mom, Dad and Christopher