Thursday, August 03, 2006

My Tiny Wonderful Apartment


When I first entered my apartment I admit I was a little disappointed. It was sweltering hot. I had just worked a 12 hour day. I had just lugged a HUGE suitcase up a flight of stairs. It seemed a bit shabby (after all of Sueanne's talk of it being brand new), there were some questionable stains on the carpet (one of which I only found when I step in the sticky mess) and the kitchen was really one electric burner beside a sink. I stayed up until 2am that morning cleaning and then my dad, on his last day in Japan came over and helped me clean the sticky carpet. We stocked up on cleaning supplies at the 99yen store and by the end of the day I was feeling a lot better about my little flat.

Now, I LOVE it. Well, all except the kitchen and its non-existant counterspace. I realize now how little space I actually require because there is one corner of the living space that I don't ever use or even step in. My dad found a genius spot for my futon (part above the closet, the other in the closet) so I have a ton of free living space. The shower room is glorious (a waterproof room with a shower and ultra deep bath) and the closet is huge!


I have a huge tv that I don't ever turn on (My interest in Japanese game shows ended way back during training) and a dvd player that someone left behind. Funny thing about the dvd player...it only plays my Pacific Mall dvds...heehee...

The washing machine is one of my favourite things in the flat because I always stress out over what cycle/water temp/time/etc when washing my clothes. In Japan, they only use cold water and the machine weighs my clothes and picks the appropriate cycle, etc. All I have to do is push 2 buttons and away it goes. Also, it spins the clothes until they're almost dry so they dry superquick on my balcony clothesline.


Right now it looks a little sparse. I haven't put up my Japan map yet (on which I'm going to record my adventures) and I'll have to find some 'art'/postcards/etc to hang on the walls. But it feels like it's mine. I haven't gotten a chance to spend much time chilling here yet (I seem to be coming home, going to bed, getting up and leaving for work) but I like it and where it is located (right near the 99yen store and a grocery store and RIGHT beside the subway station). Well, that's the scoop on my apartment. And by the way Fil and Aaron, there's way more space than we thought so no one will have to sleep in the bathtub!




I might have my first overnight visitor this weekend. Elspeth may come from Akaike to join Mateo and I at the Anjo Star Festival (supposedly a million people go) and then stay with me Sunday night so that we can hang out on Monday. I have to find out where I can get some cheap bedding...hmmm..looks like I'll be heading back to the 100yen store (they sell big things for slightly more than 100 yen...so maybe they have bedding...). Oh, and I just found out that if you buy vegetables or bread at the 99 yen store late at night, it's reduced by 20 yen. WOOHOO for a large bag of bean sprouts, a loaf of bread, 3 bananas and some awesome mushrooms for 80 yen each. The lady at the counter asked me if I was an AEON teacher. Do we stand out or something??!! heeehee.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have it all figured out. And I like your Canadian flag. One thing's missing though: the larger-than-life face of a certain famous AEON spokesman. Any update on that little acquisition?

Fil

Ps. I call dibs on the unused corner when I come out to visit (eventually).

Pps. Now that you have the setup to play Pacific DVDs, is there anything you wish you had?

Ppps. 17 days until a new Prison Break episode. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

We don't care if the food is cheaper late at night. Please shop in the morning. I thought you took your sleeping bag liner with you to Japan. Maybe your friend could use it.The videos and photos are great. About the heat, we've had hot humid weather here as well....but Dad insists it is worse in Japan.
Take care and be SAFE. Love, Mom,Dad and Christopher

Steph said...

Hi L'Ell! What a cute apartment! It's not nearly as tiny as I thought it would be (although the kitchen is definitely lacking counter space - ouch!), and I love that it's bright and "airy". I know you said that it seemed kind of shabby, but you've definitely spruced it up, or at the very least, are photographing its most positive angles, because it just looks like a cozy li'l hideaway! Can't wait to see it when you add some of your own creative touches... I think having a map on your wall is a great idea (although I have a feeling that by the time you are done with Japan, there will be very little "map" left to the naked eye!).

So, if there's a part of the apartment that you never use, does that mean you have enough room for a real kitchen table? Then again, I pretty much only use mine for preparing food, but find myself sitting squarely in front of my computer when actually eating...

Hopefully the DVDs I send you will be able to play on your tv setup, since I think I can remove the region settings when I make them, but obviously you may have to watch some stuff on Wagamama.

Sounds like things are going great for you! I miss you tons, but I'm glad to hear you're having a blast!