Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Some Random Thoughts and Photos


(The HAHA HOHO Girl - A plastic cup with a straw around the sides that a couldn't resist from the 100yen store)

SHE'S ALIVE!!! That's right - I am still alive and breathing and now I have access to the internet whenever I want it!!! Thank you Mateo and your crazy ability to figure out what those Japanese screens were saying! For the past week I have been living in my tiny, yet perfectly designed apartment (except for the kitchen which is seriously lacking counterspace) and going to work in Obu. Its been hectic, exhausting, stressful yet somehow great. My classes are fun, the students are fabulous and the staff at the school really sweet.

While lesson planning, I pulled out some materials and found this (we use old AEON posters to make our lesson visuals). I almost died and promptly told everyone in the office that if someone found an unused one I would pay them for it. Behold, the beauty of a young Ewan in his 'sometime after Trainspotting and before making it really big' days.

(My mission is to find an original, undamaged poster of his AEON ad. I now have people in two offices looking for it.)


Here is the vending machine at the Obu train station. It has every kind of coffee related beverage and it has a tv screen that plays commercials for the drinks. This is one smart machine.



Here are some random thoughts I've had about Japan lately.
1. The trains are always perfectly on time and the doors open exactly where they are marked.
2. There is mayonaise in almost all Japanese fast/convienience store food. Or the option to put mayonaise on it.
3. My washing machine is so smart it weighs the amount of clothes I put in and then picks the appropriate load type.
4. Almost every Japanese tv show is in some way a game show.
5. There is no such thing as whole wheat bread here.
6. 100 yen stores are SO FREAKIN AMAZING - and they put Canadian dollar stores (even my beloved Dollarama) to shame.

Okay, I'm off to bed (it's 1am). Tomorrow I register as an ALIEN at city hall and then I'm off to work. Hopefully I'll get a chance to post some pictures tomorrow from the Toyota Oiden Festival that I went to on Sunday and tell a terrifying story about a mukade (Japanese centipede)!!!!

2 comments:

Steph said...

Nooooo! Not the mukades! I had such hopes you would go unscathed...

Now, these 100 yen stores sound pretty fab, but the question I pose to you is whether they are better than "Dollar Trees" here in the U.S. After all, that is where I am able to procure my darling Rip It!

I've heard that Japanese mayonnaise is delicious and addictive (so says Elise from Season 1 of Top Model). Be careful!

I would like to see pictures of your perfect apartment, lack of counterspace and all! And of your washing machine (of which I am jealous because the ones in my complex are expensive and not smart in the least)!

Miss you tons! Glad that you now have internet... perhaps we'll be able to Skype soon!

Anonymous said...

No worries, just say (or type) the word, and seasons upon seasons of TV shows will be coming your way. Interested in 24 (seasons 1-4)? Aaron can get you Battlestar... in fact, I'm thinking that he'd be very excited to do so... Also, in case you're interested, Prison Break starts up again Aug 21... it'll be your way before Christmas.

As for the mukade, I'm sure to gave it a whallop it won't soon forget (but I look forward to the story in any case).

Bye for now.
Fil